A Quiet Life in the 'burbs...

One ordinary fella's life, one post at a time.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Love and other catastrophes - Part 1

Or, How not to fall in love.
No, not the 1996 Australian film of the same name.
Not long after walking out on Mrs B, I started falling for a younger woman I knew. How much younger, I hear you asking? None of your farking business, cheeky bastards.
The young lady in question, who will henceforth be known as Miss Pond, had recently been rather brutally told that any chance of her marrying her long time beau was so close to absolute zero, they'd have to call in Kelvin to have a look. I'd spent some time working intermittently with her in the 18 months leading up to this point, and we'd gotten on surprisingly well. Not so well that I'd considered her as part of my future other than as a work colleague. However, that changed on her part when we first discussed what had happened. I closed off our short conversation with the line, "Just so you know, I think he's mad to have ended it"; that was enough to get her attention.
We became friends on FB shortly afterwards, and I started talking to her about what she was going through, etc. At this stage, I was growing increasingly fond of her, but knew that as a married (albeit unhappily) older bloke, it wasn't going to go anywhere. She was still living with her former while they sorted out future arrangements, and I had been ensconced in the spare bedroom for three years. A short time later, Miss Pond had her farewell drinks and asked me to come along. I umm'ed and ahh'ed, because I was the only part timer invited to the drinks. The boss told me that I should come along, as Miss Pond has specifically mentioned wanting me to come. I went along, had a pretty good time, including bumping into some brewers I know. I spent a fair bit of time talking with Miss Pond; probably more than I talked to the others, come to think of it.
Come the end of the drinks at the Wig, and the younger crowd were heading off to Knightsbridge. I know my limits when it comes to social engagement, so after downing a pint of stout in a race with Miss Pond, I bid them good night and went to walk off. Miss Pond called me back, and kissed me good night. Although it was just on the cheek, it felt amazing. I went back to the house, floating on air.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home